Learning The Past TenseLook at these verbs:
| Past Tense: |
Change these sentences into the Past Tense.
Jane talks to the teacher.
Jane talked to the teacher.
1. The students walk to their lessons.
2. The children play in the park.
3. They laugh at the joke.
4. The good students help their teacher with the books.
5. She asks him a question about the homework.
6. The student answers the question.
7. The angry teacher shouts at the naughty students.
8. When they finish reading, they look at the pictures.
Now look at these special verbs:
(Today) am / are / is
have / has
| Past Tense: |
Change these sentences into the Present Tense:
1. Ahmed was in the school football team.
2. I did basketball on Saturday afternoons.
3. We went to the cinema at weekends.
4. You ran around the playing fields.
5. Sofia and Rahma spoke English very well and learnt the exercise quickly.
6. Ahmed drove a big red car, but had an accident.
7. I cried when the story was sad.
8. They hurried home from school and stopped at the shop for sweets.
Simple Past Tense Quiz
|1||I to the mall after school.|
|2||My brother a bear an hour ago.|
|3||Mike visit his grandmother last night?|
|4||Alex did not last weekend.|
|5||Judy and Liz at last month's meeting?|
|6||We not happy after the sad ending.|
|7||you see Jody's new dog yesterday?|
|8||Sorry, I hear you at the door.|
|9||I English for two years.|
|10||What you eat for lunch yesterday?|
Simple Past Tense Exercise
Fill in the blanks with the simple past tense of the verbs given in bracket.
1. Su Lin _____ (eat) a durian yesterday.
2. The bird _____ (fly) into my house this morning.
3. My father _____ (wash) his car last week.
4. Kelvin _____ (buy ) a magazine two days ago.
5. I _____ (meet) a stranger yesterday.
6.The baby _____(cry) for a while and _____(fall) asleep.
7.Jim _____(show) his brother how to make a kite just now.
8. She _____( have) a nightmare last night.
9. The pupils _____(clean) the classroom three weeks ago.
10. Puan Salmah ______(teach) us English last year.
Listen and watch
Teacher can use this video to recall back what had they learn today? Repeat after the words before end of the class or the lesson.